Friday, March 27, 2009

"How" Hour

Well,  missed formation today. Close of Business was at 1200 instead of the usual 1400, and I neglected to check the time on the MOC website. Looks like I'll be "volunteering" for some extra duty. 

On the other hand, today presents a decent opportunity to get back into a few habits I've been skipping out on, notably How Hours. I've recently been on a pretty strong habit-forming campaign and have been making progress in reviewing and learning from my trades. Today I feel like focussing on something different: loving others. 

In bible study last night we reviewed John 13 where Christ gives a new commandment:

"A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. By this, all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Recently I also quoted 2 Peter 1:5-7 and the list of qualities Peter exhorts us to strive toward. The last (and most fundamental) is love. I think when things come down to it, you can ultimately see someone's character in how they treat others. To love someone, it takes faith, virtue, steadfastness, self-control, knowledge, brotherly affection. Without those things, love doesn't really have a chance. Seeking those qualities is awesome, but they are not an end, but the means to loving people more effectively, in a way that gives them more life. 

So, though I am seeking those qualities, I need to cultivate the mindset that the reason behind faith, virtue, knowledge, steadfastness, self-control, godliness, and brotherly affection is to love people better, to love them more, and to be Christ to them.

What does this mean, practically? I believe that my mindset is so entrenched in selfishness at this point that I don't really know how to change it effectively to be more loving. I guess considering each of those qualities listed is a good place to start:

  • Faith: I need to believe Christ has given me eternal life, that he has saved me, and faith that anything I lose in this life, I will gain in eternity. I will be less hesitant to give up temporary, earthly things, which will trade for eternal rewards in myself and others. 

  • Virtue: Treating people fairly, with justice, with respect for their rights, and granting them everything I would expect for myself. Seeking to use your time and resources most effectively is a virtuous cause, but requires you to know a few things, which leads to...

  • Knowledge: Loving people effectively requires thought, and some knowledge about who they are, their situation, their needs. Also, you need to know what you're getting into, and know yourself--how much you're willing to commit and possibly lose. 

  • Steadfastness: Not giving up once it's tough, inconvenient, or when unexpected obstacles come in the way. Making a decision to help someone, to be there for someone, to give up something for someone, should be a strong commitment. Just like in stock trading, consider how much you're willing to give up before making the decision to get into it. Only commit what you're willing to lose, but commit that bit whole-heartedly. 

  • Self-control: This means doing what you've committed to do through steadfastness. It means keeping your mind on the goal, and constantly reviewing where the other parts of your being are trying to take you. Often times while attempting to develop a habit I find that my mind is on auto-pilot, and my flesh has slowly started to rebel. Without practicing self-control in increasing measure, all my greatest intentions will be lost. Peter also exhorts us to be watchful, and be alert. We cannot trust ourselves to do the right thing by default. It will always be a battle, and there is always someone seeking to steal, kill, and destroy. 

  • Godliness: I think this equates to holiness, purity, and keeping an eternal perspective. Being able to tell people about the hope, peace, joy, and life that comes from a relationship with Christ.

  • Brotherly Affection: I am often too reserved, too independent, and uninterested in other people. By seeking others, being friendly, allowing myself to be vulnerable, I open doors for friendship and transparency. Brotherly affection is something we definitely need more of, as seldom as I'll admit it. 


All these lead to love. What, ultimately is love? It's giving up what's important to you, for the good of someone else. The best picture of love is the cross: "but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

No comments:

Post a Comment

 



script type="text/javascript"> var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));