Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hammy Trade - SPY

bought 48 SPY at 82.96.

Why I think this will be profitable: Check the following graph. This was a break through some strong resistance that was tested several times. The next stop up is in the mid to upper thirties. 

sp326

Point where my assumptions about the trade are wrong: This was not a break through resistance if the S&P goes back down below 824. I will sell around there, and have placed my stop accordingly.

Update:  The stop sold out in a bounce down to 822. The market jumped up to about 832 three times, and bounced down each time. It bounced down through support (?). Check out the graph:

2009-03-26_1455

lost $34.84 on the trade. 

Review: On a second look at the current trends, I had the wrong support level. Check out this graph and let me know if you change your mind, too:

2009-03-27_0128

I'm not sure whether I should have seen this coming. Yes, 827 was some serious resistance, but the bottom of the trend was there too. Granted. However, things looked fishy. It tested 834 3 times, and continually had the lower lows and lower highs. Nevertheless, in the future I will take into account volume support lines (827) AND trend support (around 822, right where it bounced today).

No comments:

Post a Comment

 



script type="text/javascript"> var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www."); document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src='" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js' type='text/javascript'%3E%3C/script%3E"));